Tuesday 1 September 2009

Broccoli & Stilton Creamy Soup

I made this when a friend was visiting and served it with some nice crusty bread. It was a big hit. This soup is so quick and easy to make and it will feed the masses. It can easily be doubled for a larger family.

Serves 3

1 med head broccoli chopped up
3 tbsp shallots chopped fine
2 tbsp oil
1 large potato, chopped
2 cups chicken stock
1/4 c crumbled Stilton (blue cheese)
a dollop of cream, optional
salt and pepper to taste

Stir fry shallots in oil until just beginning to brown and smell oh so nice. Add chicken stock and stir, bring to the simmer. Cook broccoli and potato however you want to do it. I did mine in a ziploc bag in the microwave made for microwave cooking. You can do it either in water in the microwave or boil until done.

Drain vegetables and then add to chicken stock. I used an immersion blender and blended until smooth. (You can also remove from heat, cool and blend with hand mixer or blender.) Stir in your Stilton (blue cheese) until melted. At this point season according to your taste. I didn't add any salt as I felt my chicken stock along with the blue cheese was salty enough.

I then poured into bowls to serve and added a dollop of cream.

NOTE: If you want a thicker soup add more potato.

No comments:

Post a Comment